Implementation of the action plan is underway and actions include:
Good quality early diagnosis and intervention for all
- In addition to the community memory assessment service, we are exploring the possibility of joint neurology/psychiatry memory clinics.
- We are seeking to improve ‘case finding’ in primary care as we know that there are people with dementia who are not identified on GP disease registers.
Improved quality of care in general hospitals
- Development of a care pathway for dementia.
Reduced use of antipsychotic medication
- Care Home In-reach Service to support individuals and staff in the care home.
- Enhancing Quality scheme which incentivises providers to ensure that prescribing is in line with national guidance.
- Primary care audits on antipsychotic prescribing.
- Increased integration towards ‘long-term condition’ model for dementia including community short term services and crisis services.
- Carers Strategy for Brighton & Hove.
- A Joint Strategic Needs Assessment is being conducted to improve our knowledge of the needs of people with dementia and their carers.